A Lab Manager/Research Assistant position is open at the Boston Attention & Learning Laboratory at the VA Boston Healthcare System. This is a full-time two-year paid position. The lab studies the behavioral and neural mechanisms of attention and uses basic cognitive psychology, neuroscience (TMS and fMRI), and patient-oriented (e.g., those with posttraumatic stress disorder and stroke) approaches to better understand these mechanisms and their dysfunction. The research assistant will have the opportunity to perform both basic and patient-oriented research and will be intimately involved in all aspects of data collection, analyses, and the publication of results. Some administrative duties including maintaining protocols, subject recruitment and scheduling, and record keeping related to active studies will also be required.
1) B.S. or B.A in psychology, neuroscience, or previous experience completing research in these areas.
2) Some previous programming experience (preferably Matlab/Psychophysics toolbox) is required. Experience with statistical software packages (e.g. SPSS, JMP, SAS, R) is desirable.
3) Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills. Must have a demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
4) Familiarity with TMS or fMRI techniques is desirable.
5) Knowledge of and interest in visual attention, visual cognition, neuroanatomy and statistics is desirable.
The job can begin spring/summer, 2014. Commitment of two years is required. Send inquiries, CV, and the names and phone numbers of 2-3 references to Dr. Michael Esterman, firstname.lastname@example.org.