Invitation to Research Interns
Division of General Internal Medicine and Clinical Innovation
NYU Langone Medical Center
New York, NY
The Division of General Internal Medicine and Clinical Innovation at the NYU Langone Medical Center invites undergraduate and graduate students to apply for Research Intern Positions, which provide ample opportunities to gain experience working on critical issues in health care in an entrepreneurial, innovative, research rich environment.
You will join the Division’s Health Services Research Team, whose work focuses on translational research related to patient care delivery, systems of care delivery, population health, education, innovations.
Four areas of research the Division is actively pursuing:
1. Improving patient access/utilization and satisfaction: for example, the use of emerging technology in addressing health access disparities
2. Evaluation of care management programs and components that are utilized internally reviewing ROI and outcomes (patient and provider)
3. Practice management/Quality Initiatives: Model to predict likelihood of occurrence of adverse events for individual patients
4. Evaluation of newer and innovative methods to improve health care delivery efficiency and patient outcome/satisfaction
Benefits to You as a Research Intern
* Research Interns are recruited to un-compensated positions, and receive one on one mentoring from members of the health care research team including experts in healthcare services management, practice based research and clinical analytics experts.
* Research Interns attend meetings related to project work, as well as conferences and seminars at the NYU School of Medicine.
* You will have the opportunity to be a co-author on conference abstract submissions and/or publications .
* You will receive letters of recommendation for school and job placement.
Our Preferred Candidates Are Those Who
* Have a strong interest in research with interest in pursuing careers in healthcare, health policy, health-related research, or health technology or related fields
* Are motivated, mature, professional, independent thinkers and problem solvers
* Demonstrate strong interpersonal, writing, and computer skills
* Have prior experience conducting quantitative data analysis (Excel, SPSS/SAS)
* Have prior experience conducting qualitative data analysis (coding, thematic analysis)
* Are able to work 8-10 hours/week for at least 6-months.
Specific Research Intern Responsibilities Include
* Data collection and management using large, publically available data sets (NHANES/MEPS/etc) re health disparities, and other health care outcomes and systems data including ambulatory care data.
* Contribute to the development of survey and measurement tools
* Conduct qualitative data analysis (coding, thematic analysis)
* Conduct Quantitative data analysis (Excel, SPSS/SAS)
* Qualitative data analysis (coding, thematic analysis)
* Manage literature searches to support Abstract/Manuscript/Presentation development
* Contribute to the preparation of IRB and grant proposals
How to apply
The following materials are required at the time of application:
* A current resume – one page max
* A cover letter (with less than 200 words describing your interest in this area of research and referencing at least 1-2 of the areas you have experience in from the work responsibilities section above)
* 2 professional and/or academic references
Direct Inquiries and Application To
Yiding Jiang, MS
Actuary, Division of General Internal Medicine and Clinical Innovation
NYU Langone Medical Center