The Bergelson Lab at Duke, an NIH and NEH funded lab in Duke’s Psychology & Neuroscience department, is looking to hire an excited, competent, and detail-oriented recent graduate to be an active member of our research team as lab manager. The lab’s focus is on language development, and in particular, on how word learning interfaces with other levels of linguistic representation, and other dimensions of cognitive and social development. We are part of Duke CHILD Studies.
The lab manager position entails working with families, infants, and toddlers, and a team of researchers from the undergraduate to postdoctoral level.
The lab manager’s duties will include:
* managing a team of RAs in various annotation-related tasks for the home recordings in the SEEDLingS Corpus,
* scheduling and running in-lab eyetracking and discrimination experiments with infants and adults,
* data processing, coding, and analysis,
* vocabulary assessment and other cognitive development measures,
* miscellaneous aspects of project and lab upkeep.
This would be an excellent position for someone looking for research experience with infants and families, in visual, environmental, social, and linguistic aspects of cognitive development.
The lab manager’s contribution would potentially lead to authorship on posters, conference talks, and papers published from the results of these data, and hands-on involvement in the nuts-and-bolts of research in cognitive development.
* BA or BS in psychology, cognitive science, linguistics, or a related field
* strong independent work ethic
* previous research experience in a psych, cogsci, linguistics, or related research lab
* Ability to manage deadlines and thrive in a fast-paced working environment
* Feeling comfortable interacting with infants and families
* Ability to troubleshoot and learn software and scripting methods on-the-job
* experience with audio, video, and image file manipulation
* basic programming skills (e.g. Python and R),
* experience interacting with infants and families
* eyetracking experience (desired but not required)
The position begins June or July 2017. This is a one year position, with the possibility of extension.
Applicants should send a CV (which includes GPA, relevant course and research experience, and references) and a cover letter to email@example.com with the title “Bergelson Lab Manager Position”.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with the goal of hiring the best candidate by the end of May if not sooner.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual’s race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, or disability.