We are happy to announce the Karen Keer Hale ‘71 and Christopher C. Hale Scholarship which will award $5,000 every semester for five semesters to one student in the mental health counseling program who is pursuing a specialized certificate in alcohol and substance abuse counseling (CASAC). The $25,000 scholarship was established by alumnus Charles Hale ’71 in the name of his late wife and their son.
One scholarship will be awarded to a newly matriculated Fall 2018 student on the basis of a comprehensive process. Areas that are reviewed by the committee include, but are not limited to the following: academic accomplishments, community service/clinical work/research work in the area of substance use counseling, demonstration of commitment to the field of substance use counseling, references, and personal essay. In reviewing these items the selection committee is looking for exceptional performance and an active commitment to work in the field of substance use, and efforts/plans to continue on a career path in this field.
1. DEADLINE for scholarship applications is May 20, 2018.
2. Refer to application process for a list of the supporting documents needed (i.e., reference forms, evidence of GPA, etc.) Incomplete applications will not be considered.
3. You will be notified by phone or mail in June regarding the status of your application.
4. Please email Dr. Genevieve Weber, Scholarship Chair at email@example.com for a full application.
• Applicants must be accepted as a full time student at Hofstra University for the Fall 2018 academic semester. If scholarship money is awarded, this is the only program that will receive the funds on behalf of the applicant.
• Applicants must be completing or have completed a Bachelor’s degree successfully with a minimum unweighted GPA of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale.
• Demonstration of past and future commitment to the field of substance use counseling.